All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Windwalker Monk Patch 6.2 BiS List
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2015, 9:52 am 
Recruiter

6.2 Windwalker Monk Gear Post

Hello friends,

Since I have to figure out all of this information for myself, I might as well post it for anyone else who's interested!

About me: Armory // Logs

Stat Weights

Serenity

Multistrike (0.72) > Crit (0.64) >= Versatility (0.63) >>> Haste (0.35) > Mastery (0.33)
WDPS (2.11), OHDPS(1.09), Agi(1), AP(0.91)

Note that there is a lower Multistrike softcap this patch than in 6.1 due to changes to Tiger Strikes, so at some point Versatility will overtake it (Yuck!)

The weights are my simmed numbers, so of course yours will be slightly different and you should sim your own. Personally I think mastery should be weighted even lower than that.

Chi Explosion

Haste(0.66) > Multistrike(0.62) > Versatility(0.58) >= Crit(0.55) >>> Mastery(0.25)
WDPS(1.07), Agi(1), AP(0.9), OHDPS(0.47)

I simmed these weights with 2 targets, because the majority of the HFC fights we'll use Chi Explosion on are Boss + Big Add.

This is what simcraft gives me but I'd value mastery at about 0.0 for chi explosion.

There are two common ways to build/play your Windwalker monk. The first one is to gear for Serenity and only play Chi Explosion on fights that really benefit. The second is to gear for haste, and just run Chi Explosion on every fight in the instance. If you're hybridizing, it's best to stack Multistrike rather than Haste, because Chi Explosion scales quite well with Multistrike, but Serenity scales terribly with haste.

Raitank, the #1 ranked mythic DPS in the world as of this edit, popularized the Chi Explosion Always build. It's also the build that I personally run now.

Gear

Both Sets:
Head - Mask of the Hurricane's Eye - Kormrok
Neck - Choker of the Great Betrayer - Archimonde
Neck Option 2 - Choker of the Great Betrayer - Heroic Archimonde (yes the other Mythic necks are that bad. Haste/Mastery on both? Really?)
Shoulders - Mantle of the Hurricane's Eye - Xhul'horac
Back - Cloak of Desperate Temerity - Shadow Lord Iskar
Chest - Tunic of the Soulbinder - Socrethar
Wrists - Bloodcult Bracers - Kilrogg
Hands - Fistwraps of the Hurricane's Eye - Socrethar
Legs - Legwraps of the Hurricane's Eye - Gorefiend
Finger 1 - Maalus, the Blood Drinker - Legendary Questline
Finger 2 - Portal Key Signet - Xhul'horac
2H Weapon - Xu'tenash, Glaive of Ruin - Mannoroth

Serenity:
Waist - Flayed Demonskin Belt - BoE trash drop
Feet - Jungle Assassin's Footpads - BoE trash drop
DW Weapons - Hammer of Wicked Infusion - Xhul'horac

Chi Explosion:
Waist - Waistwrap of Banishment - Archimonde
Waist Option 2 - Flayed Demonskin Belt - BoE trash drop
Feet - Oppressor's Merciless Treads - Tyrant Velhari
DW Weapons - Demonblade Eviscerator - Fel Lord Zakuun

Trinkets:
Trinket 1 - Sacred Draenic Incense - Archimonde
Trinket 1, Option 2 - Sacred Draenic Incense - Heroic Archimonde
Trinket 2 (Single Target) - Soul Capacitor - Socrethar
Trinket 2 (AOE) - Mirror of the Blademaster - High Council

More information on: trinket rankings (from Icyveins, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's better than nothing).

The trinkets are not really set in stone (except that the class trinket is mandatory, such that the heroic class trinket is better than any other mythic trinket). Soul Capacitor is super cool but it's often a trap and you're better off using Mirror of the Blademaster instead. Mirror is simply more reliable and controllable, and does an asston of damage anytime there are multiple targets.

We will probably still want to stick to 2-handers, if we can get our hand on the Mannoroth polearm, at least if this list is anything to go by. That being said, the difference is small enough that if your 1-handers are higher ilvl than your 2-hander, you should use those.

The current list is copied directly from Hinalover's sims on the MMO-Champion forums. It's the best I can find so far.

I've included the 2nd best option for anything that drops off of Mythic Archimonde (because if you're downing Mythic Archie, why do you even care?)

The "hover" images from Wowhead don't all have the proper stats yet, but the actual pages do.

Enchants:

For all non-weapon enchants and all gems, just get Multistrike if you run Serenity, or Haste if you're doing the Chi Explosion Always build.

For weapon enchants, if you're using Serenity it's probably best to stick with Mark of the Thunderlord. For chi explosion, Mark of Warsong is the clear winner.

You would think that the multistrike weapon enchant would be strong, but the problem with it is that we will easily softcap multistrike during the proc, so crit/haste end up being better.

For dual-wielding enchants, take 2 Warsong if you're specializing in Chi Explosion, 2 Thunderlord for Serenity, or one of each to hybridize.

Consumables:

Food: Felmouth Frenzy for single target, unless you're a panda, then use the cleave food.
For cleave, use Salty Squid Roll with Serenity, and Buttered Sturgeon for Chi Explosion.
Flask: Greater Draenic Agility Flask
Rune: Hyper Augment Rune
Potion: Draenic Agility Potion
Health Potion: Healing Tonic

Talents and Tips:

This is my usual build. If I don't mention a talent, it's on this list: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Mny8QM
These are written for Heroic, and I'll update for Mythic as I see them.

Any time you're using Chi Explosion, also use Ascension. Otherwise, use Chi Brew and Serenity.

Hellfire Assault: Chi Burst, Chi Explosion
Leg Sweep groups of adds. Be careful with cleave on the casters.
Mythic: Make sure you're only SEF cleaving one caster at a time (the next one to die), and use ToD on metamorphosis. Use ToK and Diffuse to survive bad metamorphosis management. If you want, you can do chi torpedo for aoe parsing.

Iron Reaver: Chi Wave, Serenity. Capacitor/Censer.
Diffuse Magic if you get a couple of fire stacks. Touch of Karma the ground pound if you're hurting. Use SEF to hit bombs that are in the fire. ToD does about 40% of a bomb.
Mythic: Put SEF on the fortified and burning bombs, and use serpent kick + ToD for panic moments on bombs. The Reactive bombs do physical damage, so you can't soak them with Diffuse. You can store ToD damage on bombs using Capacitor to get some extra boss damage in phase 1.

Kormrok: Chi Burst, Diffuse Magic, Serenity. Mirror.
SEF the hand grabbing the tank. ToD straggler's hands. Make sure you save Chi Burst and have spare energy every time the hands spawn. If you have Mirror of the Blademaster, it's fantastic for damage on hands. Save Serenity/legendary ring for after he jumps away the first time.
Mythic: Put a Transcendence spirit on your soak position to return easily.

High Council: Chi Burst, Chi Explosion. Mirror/Censer.
Be careful you don't cleave the wrong target down first.
Mythic: Don't SEF Dia until Gurtogg is dead, you lose too much damage on the priority target. Diffuse Magic can remove the Mark of the Necromancer with no ill effect, so abuse it. Use Transcendence to warp back to the boss after reaps.

Kilrogg: Chi Burst, Chi Explosion.
SEF the boss and target the big add yourself (to interrupt). If you're doing the visions phase, run Capacitor/Serenity, and consider running Chi Torpedo to burst those imps down.

Gorefiend: Chi Burst, Serenity. Heirloom trinket.
Leg Sweep/Disable adds in stomach. SEF the big add outside.
Mythic: Chi Burst is used just because it's the only option that doesn't cleave on spirits (if you aim carefully). You can use Capacitor for parsing if you're careful not to blow up any spirits.

Shadow Lord Iskar: Chi Burst, Rushing Jade Wind, Chi Explosion. Mirror.
Try to time Energizing Brew with add spawns. Remember to use Transcendence if you get the windy thing. Some of the small adds can be Leg Sweeped.
Mythic: If your strat is to burst the Chains add with ring, don't use RJW (SCK does higher burst damage combined with Energizing Brew). RJW is generally better for parsing though.

Socrethar: Chi Burst, Serenity. Capacitor/Censer.
SEF the casters during phase 2. If other people are handling interrupts on the boss, interrupt the casters. Leg sweep/Ox Wave ghosts that get loose. Go hard on Dominators. If you're using Capacitor be careful - if it explodes on the boss while the Dominator is out and he's immune, its damage gets split in half.

Tyrant Velhari: Chi Burst, Chi Explosion. Heirloom trinket.
You can cleave the last add up until he casts his damage reduction buff, then switch to pure single target on him.

Fel Lord Zakuun: Chi Wave, Serenity. Capacitor.
If you're in the first soaking group, use Chi Explosion instead, because you're losing out on the Serenity opener. Make sure you use Diffuse Magic, ToK, and Zen Med to mitigate damage from waves/explosions.

Xhul'horac: Chi Burst, Rushing Jade Wind, Chi Explosion. Mirror/Heirloom.
SEF cleave the big adds. Leg Sweep the groups of imps. Abuse transcendence and Serpent Kick to get to and from your Fel Surge stack point.
Mythic: Save up energy/chi/TEB for imp spawns and make sure you're rolling RJW the whole time they're out. Otherwise, don't use RJW. Save RSK cooldown for imps also. If your group needs the stun, you can glyph out of Floating Butterfly and use Fists to stun imps.

Mannoroth: Chi Burst, Chi Torpedo, Chi Explosion. Heirloom trinket. Glyph of Victory Roll. Multistrike food (for Torpedo).
Might as well cleave down the infernals with SEF, they're going to need to die eventually, and you're the only melee that can hit them.
Mythic: SEF Mannoroth and focus the doomguards yourself (to interrupt more easily when needed). In Mythic you really need to use Chi Torpedo - it's the only good way for us to burst imps down. Learn how to use it! The trick is to torpedo->jump really fast, so that you torpedo in place. When you get really good at it you can fit abilities in between torpedoes. My ability use when imps spawn is Chi Burst->Leg Sweep/Torpedo->RSK/Torpedo->ChiExp/Torpedo. From there either start SCK spam or continue with more torpedoes if your glyph gives you more.

Archimonde: Chi Burst, Chi Explosion
ToD the Doomfire Spirits. SEF cleave everything. You can use Transcendence to survive the knockback from the stars in the Nether. For the infernals, I prefer to SEF the boss and run around hitting the infernals myself (ToD can be boss here).
Mythic: If you're doing a burst strat in P1, don't cleave unless you're far ahead on DPS. You have 3 excellent survival cooldowns for Wrought so if moving out is awkward, just use a defensive instead, it's less risky. In P3 you can solo Mark of the Legion with careful use of Diffuse Magic/Zen Med and Transcendence. You can also ignore the dance with those two abilities.

Last edited by Seibukan on February 28th, 2016, 5:26 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Windwalker Monk Patch 6.2 BiS List
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2015, 3:25 pm 
Ranting Queen

Versatility? Boring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2015, 4:22 pm 
Master Troll

MOST HEALING CAULLE

Very well-formatted, Seibukan. Makes me want to play my monk. Almost.

Pop my bubble and hearthstone out

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 12:52 am 
Recruiter

I'm not 100% sure on the versatility thing. The math that I saw on it was a couple weeks / a month ago, so things could have changed. Things could still change.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 3:23 am 
Recruiter

Bump because I added some stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 12:53 am 
Recruiter

I was playing around with the new food buff, and it looks like it is indeed worth using, at least for non-pandas. If you are a panda, it's probably still worth using on cleave fights, but not on single target.

This also de-values the panda racial, and is part of the reason why I race changed to nelf the other day...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 1:35 am 
Junior Troll

Food buff stronk.

Noway in a nutshell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 2:59 am 
Recruiter

I don't know why I keep writing this stuff but I did it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 3:08 am 
Recruiter

so two expansions from now you can look back and remember how monk used to be

dookie#1491

Offline Profile