All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Melkster, Rogue
PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 10:19 pm 

Hey,

I'm a returning player after a long, long absence from the game. I thought I'd take a bit of time to write out an introduction, to help illustrate what you can expect from me as a player, (and for what I'm looking for, as well!).

I last raided way back in college, in the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, with a guild called Infernal Affairs on Moonrunner.

My best memories of the game come from the night of the Burning Crusade's release: We raced to level 70 together, and it turned out to be a snow day -- no class, just Warcraft. =) In the next few weeks, we jumped through Blizzard's incredible attunement hoops, and were the first on our server to enter Serpentshrine Cavern and Tempest Keep. We spent the rest of the expansion racing another guild for server firsts (and we almost always won the race)! Infernal Affairs was an absolute blast to achieve things with, and they were also a great group to just spend time with on voice.

I'm looking to join a guild like that again, now that I've returned to the game (as of this past Christmas).

Here’s what I’m looking for in a guild:

• Excellent play on the part of members; a commitment to self-improvement; an attitude of perseverance; an attitude that looks to solve problems with better strategies rather than only repeated tries.
  • A grown-up environment, with players who are committed to treating each-other and everyone else in the game with dignity and respect.
  • Commitment to achieving Cutting Edge, and ideally ambitions beyond that.
  • Great leadership team (raid leader, guild leader, recruitment funnel, etc)

Here's what I bring to the game:

• Commitment to excellent play. I'm conscientious and analytical. I'm my own worst critic and constantly trying to figure out how I can improve. I'm ambitious; driven to succeed.
  • 100% schedule commitment. The only thing that would keep me from a raid is a true emergency, which are very rare.
  • Excellent communication. I'll call out on voice when I’m interrupting, or for any other critical mechanic, as needed. I'll engage in reflection (saying back to you my understanding of what I need to do) for the purposes of clarifying any misunderstanding.
  • Absolutely zero drama or any other social issues. I treat others with respect, at all times, under all circumstances.

Anyway, this has been a long enough introduction. Let's get down to the application itself:

Basics

--What is your character's name, race, class, and primary spec?

Melkster, Gnome, Rogue, Assassination

--Please provide your profile link from http://us.battle.net/wow/en/ of the character you're applying on.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/lightbringer/melkster

--How long have you been playing World of Warcraft?

As a semi-hardcore raider, from 2005 through late 2009. Casual since 2009. Back to semi-hardcore since Jan 2018.

--What is your real life age? (Under 18, 18-25, 25-30, 30+)

30+ (31)

--What time zone do you live in?

Pacific.

--Do you have any other worthwhile 110's? (Name, Class, and Server)

I'm afraid not. I'd like to play this Rogue, only, for the time being. For BFA I’m considering other options.

Playstyle

--Do you predominantly (one or the other) activate spells and abilities using your keyboard/buttons on your mouse or by clicking the spells on the screen? Do you use your mouse or your keyboard (or a combination) to move?

I activate my abilities with my keyboard (and buttons on my mouse). I use a mouse to move my camera and WASD to move my character.

--What are your keybinds?

II see that "Pomegranate" might be the expected answer to this.

--What do you think the strengths and weaknesses of your class are?

Assassination's single-target DPS is great (as it should be! It's why I made the character way back in 2008!).

Rogue survivability is unparalleled, thanks to Cloak of Shadows, Feint, Cheat Death, and Crimson Vial.

Multi-target DPS has been a downside of Rogues, though it isn't nearly as terrible as it has been in the past.

I do wish Rogues had a bit more utility. It'd be nice to be able to pass out something like Healthstones (Why can't I give someone one of my Crimson Vials?), or to be able to do something like Death-Grip (If I can shadowstep to something else, why not shadowstep something else to me?). But, oh well. Perhaps in the next expansion.

--For your main spec, what is your rotation (and/or priority system)? If you're a healer, please explain what heals you use in what situations.

Keep Garrote and Rupture applied to the main target. Use Mutilate as a single-target combo builder. Use Fan of Knives in lieu of Mutilate in a multi-target environment. Use Vendetta on cooldown, unless you can sync it with Vanish and won't miss either a Vendetta or Vanish. When using legendary shoulders (which I have) Evenom after Vanishing. Use Toxic Blade on cooldown, unless delaying it for no more than 5 seconds to use it with Kingsbane. Use Kingsbane on cooldown. Don’t waste combo points -- at 4 or more CP, use Envenom unless Rupture is about to fall off (in which case you should Rupture).

The opener is a bit complex, but with Legendary Shoulders, which I have, it's (After Tricks-ing the tank and Prepotting) Garrote, Multilate, Rupture, Vendetta, Toxic Blade, Kingsbane, Vanish, then Envenom, Mutilate, Envenom, Multilate until the buff from shoulders falls off.

Anyway, I pay close attention to the theorycrafting on Ravenholdt (Rogue class discord). This is all subject to change, given the latest findings by our Rogue researchers. =) (For example, for a few days in January, the best opening was to use Poisoned Dagger! For reasons that are way boring to type out.)

--Does your character have all of his artifacts? What do your artifacts look like for your alternate specs?

I imagine this question is more for the hybrid classes: Assassination is the only spec I've focused on since returning; it's generally regarded to be the best spec for the end of this expansion.

--Describe your experience and ability with each of your specs.

See question above.

--Please provide an up-to-date picture of your UI (from a non-terrible site) here. List your hotkeys if they aren't easily viewable or a mod is preventing them from being viewed.

I'll do even better! Here's a video of a wipe we recently had on Portal Keeper, from my perspective. Note that I was talking on Discord (calling out kicks), but that was on a second audio channel which I didn't include in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... kWTMv01Uls

--What add-ons do you use? Please name the ones that are of particular interest to your class or raiding.

Weak Auras 2, and I have a few different WA scripts set up, including one for tracking cooldowns and buff durations for my class (see video above for what that looks like), as well as cooldowns for other players that concern me (interrupts, stuns), and also to track boss abilities.

Exorsus Raid Tools

BigWigs -- I prefer it to DBM after experimenting with both. The warnings are better, more verbose.

--Do you regularly investigate the details of your class and spec outside the game? If yes, what sites do you use and what do they offer you? If no, why do you not try to find out all the information you can about your class?

Ravenholdt class discord is great for up-to-date analysis on Rogue concerns. The http://www.ravenholdt.net/ is a good picture of what the current best practices are for my class.

Raidbots.com is an excellent resource as well, for deliberating between different items (or sets of items).

--The only thing the raid leader should have to explain to an applicant is the actual guild's strategy on a certain boss fight. With that said, will you come to a progression raid having already watched videos on every boss fight you will be encountering and read any available information relevant to encounters?

Of course! I soak that information up for fun in my off time.

--Will you come to raids with full consumables and the best gems/enchants you can get?

Absolutely.

Raiding Experience in World of Warcraft (At content level)[/color]

--Vanilla: Molten Core, BWL, AQ20, AQ40 (Except C'thun)

--Burning Crusade: TK, SSC, Caverns of Time, BT

--Wrath of the Lich King: Naxx, Ulduar (Except Algalon)

--Cataclysm: Casual

--Mists of Pandaria Casual

--Warlords of Draenor Casual

Details

--Please post a link to a recent WoL/WCL report. This is a must-have.

I recently transferred to Lightbringer, where I've been raiding with a Mythic guild. Here's my profile there:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... r/melkster

--What guilds have you been in (name and server) and why did you leave (or plan on leaving)?

In TBC and Wrath I played with Infernal Affairs on Moonrunner. I didn't leave the guild, but I did stop raiding, for reasons unrelated to the game.

I returned to raiding around Christmas, 2017, with Fluffy Wizard Hats Club on Proudmoore, a casual heroic-only raiding guild. Super friendly guild, love everyone in it. We progressed through Heroic Antorus, and dabbled a tiny bit with the first couple bosses in Mythic Antorus -- but there was no real interest in moving beyond that. I left to join up with a Mythic guild!

In early February, I began a trial with a guild on Lightbringer (which I won't name to avoid being picked up by search engines, but you can easily see it in my warcraftlogs profile or armory above). I'm likely going to turn down an offer to join their raid team, due to reasons that we can talk about in a less public setting.

Personality

--Why did you initially choose your character/class? What do you like most about it?

Stealth and theivery is super fun in a questing/open world environment. The survivability is great, as mentioned above. I do wish the utility was better.

I do like the DPS role over either the healing or tanking role, for the competition side of things. It feels good to push great numbers, while of course always respecting that mechanics ALWAYS come first.

--Are you receptive to criticism?

Absolutely.

In the real world, I do a fair bit of mentoring, and I know how tough it is to have someone who is not responsive to feedback. I'm someone who openly welcomes criticism and responds quickly to feedback.

However, I think it's even more important to note that I'm very proactive about correcting my own play. I'm constantly evaluating my own play, trying to figure out how to decrease the odds of mechanics failures, or increase damage, or whatever is needed to succeed. As an example of how I'm proactive-- I use Nvidia's instant replay feature to record A/V output from my computer (and I have a 12 TB hard drive just for storing it) and often refer back to it in a raid to help resolve my own confusion (or others!) about any mistakes in play.

---

Okay -- This has been a huge, huge application. My sincerest apologies for that.

I actually have a handful of questions for the group, and would love to hop on a Discord channel to hash it out (Just easier to talk rather than write)

Thanks for reading,

-Adam/Melkster.

Offline Profile